Druid in association with the Abbey Theatre presents
DruidShakespeare: Richard III
3 - 27 October 2018
Dates: 3 – 27 October
On the Abbey Stage
Free First Preview: 3 October
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm, Matinees Sat 2pm
Tickets: €13 – €45 / Conc. €13 – €30
Running Time: 2 hours 50 minutes including a 15 minute interval.
To book for a group of 6+ call (01) 87 97 212
Touch Tour of Stage and Set: Saturday 27 October, 12:45pm
Audio-described and captioned performance: Saturday 27 October, 2:00pm
When peace descends, Richard, Duke of Gloucester, is not a happy man.
Crippled from birth and intensely ambitious, he sets about bending the world to his own desires. No bond is too sacred, no blood too thick – nothing will stand between Richard and the crown.
Shakespeare gives us one of the great villains in Richard III, in a chilling and darkly comic story of power and ambition. Druid continues its exploration of Shakespeare’s kings with the acclaimed creative team and members of the Druid Ensemble who worked on DruidShakespeare: Richard II, Henry IV (Pts. 1 & 2) and Henry V.
Out of The Abbey
- 22 – 29 September at the Town Hall Theatre, Galway
'Striking, intoxicating, disturbing'.
The Irish Times on DruidShakespeare: Richard III
'A coherent symphony of crafted perfection'
The Sunday Times on DruidShakespeare: Richard III
'Theater heaven. A rare occurrence when every component of a production converges in perfect harmony...'
Broadway World on DruidShakespeare: Richard III
'Brazenly Irish … A huge achievement'
Irish Independent on DruidShakespeare
'I’ve never before found these plays so easy to follow or so gripping'
The New York Times on DruidShakespeare
In Rehearsals, with Aaron Monaghan
Behind the Scenes
Photography © Robbie Jack
- Dorset / Murderer 1/ Richmond: Frank Blake
- Queen Elizabeth: Jane Brennan
- Lady Anne / Edward, Prince of Wales: Siobhán Cullen
- Duchess of York: Ingrid Craigie
- Rivers / Brakenbury: Peter Daly
- Richard, Duke of York / Page: Zara Devlin
- Hastings / Tyrrel / Blunt: Garrett Lombard
- Stanley / Murderer 2 / Archbishop of York: Seán McGinley
- King Richard III: Aaron Monaghan
- Queen Margaret / Lord Mayor: Marie Mullen
- Buckingham: Rory Nolan
- King Edward IV / Bishop of Ely: John Olohan
- Clarence / Catesby: Marty Rea
- Director: Garry Hynes
- Design: Francis O’Connor
- Lighting Design: James F. Ingalls
- Sound Design: Gregory Clarke
- Music: Conor Linehan
- Movement Director / Fight Choreographer: David Bolger
- Co-Costume Design: Doreen McKenna
- Dramaturg: Thomas Conway
- Assistant Dramaturg: Eleanor White
- Casting Consultant: Maureen Hughes Casting
26/27 Lower Abbey Street