An Abbey Theatre production
The Long Christmas Dinner
30 November - 31 December 2021
by Thornton Wilder
We have made the difficult decision to cancel The Long Christmas Dinner. This decision is related to Covid. Our box office team will be in touch with all ticket holders.
Our production of Faith Healer is not impacted and will proceed as planned.
Sign language interpreted performance: Thursday 16 December, 8:30pm
Audio-described performance: Thursday 16 December, 6:30pm
The Long Christmas Dinner by Thornton Wilder is a gift-wrapped seasonal gem, guaranteed to delight and surprise
In this shapeshifting meditation on family, progress, death, and renewal, we see the Bayard family experience 90 Christmas dinners over 90 years.
Compressed into 50 minutes of playing time, The Long Christmas Dinner gives us a moment to pause and reflect on our own families, what has been lost to us, and what Christmas means for each of us.
For more information on this production, download the digital programme here.
Download the audio-described programme notes here, or listen to them below.
'with an excellent ensemble, this is a perfect seasonal morsel'
The Irish Examiner
'a gently paced reflection on the idea that every present moment comes from the past'
The Sunday Times
The Irish Mail on Sunday
'a ghostly telling of a dreamlike curiosity'
The Irish Times
'a beautifully-paced performance from a well-balanced ensemble'
No More Workhorse
- Roderick II: Liam Bixby
- Roderick I: Bryan Burroughs
- Charles: Emmet Byrne
- Mother Bayard: Rachael Dowling
- Sam: Eoin Fullston
- Genevieve: Fionnuala Gygax
- Lucia II: Aisling Kearns
- Nurse: Fiona Lucia McGarry
- Ermengarde: Máire Ní Ghráinne
- Leonora: Rachel O’Byrne
- Cousin Brandon: Will O’Connell
- Lucia I: Valerie O’Connor
- Written by: Thornton Wilder
- Directed by: Sarah Jane Scaife and Raymond Keane
- Costume Design: Sinead Cuthbert
- Lighting Design: Stephen Dodd
- Sound Design: Aoife Kavanagh
- Set Design: Sally Withnell
3 December - 22 January 2022