A co-production between the Abbey Theatre and Eilene Davidson Productions
17 September - 15 October 2022
Written by Edna O'Brien
Directed by Conall Morrison
Dates: 17 September – 15 October
On the Abbey stage
Duration: Approx. 1 hour 38 minutes, no interval
Previews: 17 – 21 September
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm, Sat matinee 2pm
Tickets: €13 – €45
Touch Tour: For visually impaired patrons and their companions to explore the set, costumes and props. To book, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01 87 87 222.
Please Note: If you are blind or visually impaired and require a headset for the Audio Description, please contact our Box Office team. You can email us at email@example.com or call (01) 8787222. Headsets are limited so booking is essential.
Sign language interpreted performance: Thursday 6 October, 7:30pm
Audio-described and captioned performance: Saturday 8 October, 2:00pm
Touch Tour of Stage and Set: Saturday 8 October, 12:00pm
“James Joyce had been my ultimate hero for sixty years, but to paint the canvas of his life was daunting. Therefore I decided to depict him as seen by the key figures in his life- Mother, Wife, Mistress of a fleeting moment, his patron Harriet Weaver and his beloved Daughter Lucia, of whom he said her mind was but a transparent leaf away from his.” - Edna O’Brien
One of Ireland’s greatest contemporary writers turns her attention to the life of one of the country’s greatest novelists, in a powerful new play Joyce’s Women.
Written for the occasion of the 100th anniversary of Ulysses, this world premiere from Edna O’Brien gives voice to the women who were central to the life of James Joyce.
On the Abbey stage as part of the Dublin Theatre Festival, this audacious world premiere is directed by Conall Morrison.
Edna O’Brien’s powerful play is a fascinating portrait of a fellow writer
Please see the digital programme for Joyce’s Women here.
Download the audio-described programme notes here, or listen to them below.
If a performance is cancelled or postponed or you are unable to attend the performance due to Covid 19, you can exchange the tickets for another performance or production or cancel the tickets and receive a refund to your Abbey Theatre account or credit card. Please contact box office in advance of the show and our Box Office team will process your refund or exchange quickly and with no charge. Find out more.
- May Joyce: Deirdre Donnelly
- Brigitte Zimmerman: Hilda Fay
- James Joyce: Stephen Hogan
- Lucia Joyce: Genevieve Hulme Beaman
- Stanislaus Joyce: Patrick Moy
- Zozimus: Bill Murphy
- Nora Barnacle: Bríd Ní Neachtain
- Martha Fleischmann: Caitríona Ní Mhurchú
- Harriet Shaw Weaver: Ali White
- Waiter/Young Boy: Emmet Farrell
- Nurse: Dympna Heffernan
- Male Attendant/Medico : Oliver Flitcroft
- Male Attendant/Medico : Barry Simpson
- Writer: Edna O'Brien
- Director: Conall Morrison
- Set Design: Sabine Dargent
- Costume Design: Joan O'Clery
- Lighting Design: Ben Ormerod
- Composer: Conor Linehan
- Sound Design: Ivan Birthistle
- Movement Director: Justine Doswell
- AV Designer: Neil O’Driscoll
- Assistant Director: Gea Gojak
- Design Assistant : Saoirse O'Shea
- Hair, Makeup & Wigs: Leonard Daly
- Fight Director: Alan Walsh
- Casting Director: Sarah Jones
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth
A Whistle in the Dark
4 October - 5 November 2022