An Abbey Theatre production
A Whistle in the Dark
4 October - 5 November 2022
Written by Tom Murphy
Directed by Jason Byrne
Dates: 4 October – 5 November
On the Peacock stage
Previews: 4 – 6 October
Times: Mon – Sat 7pm, Sat matinee 1.30pm
Tickets: €18 – €30 / €16 – €25 Conc.
Running time: 2 hours and 45 minutes, including an interval.
Content advice: Please note this play contains violent scenes and portrays people using racist language.
Sign language interpreted performance: Thursday 20 October, 7:00pm
“Honest to god, Dada, I tried to love you. What do you want to keep this up for?”
Settled in Coventry with his new wife Betty, Michael Carney is attempting to lead a new life. But leaving Ireland couldn’t set him free, and once the Carneys descend there’s no way out.
One of Ireland’s greatest playwrights, Tom Murphy’s A Whistle in the Dark is a powerful portrayal of tribal violence and the devastation it brings in its wake. It remains Murphy’s best known and most performed play to this day.
Directed by Jason Byrne, with Seán Mc Ginley in the role of Dada, this fiercely intense production of Tom Murphy’s early masterpiece will be experienced up close in the intimate Peacock theatre, giving the audience a front row seat in the Carneys’ living room.
For more information on the show, download the digital programme here.
A 'blistering new production'
The Irish Times
'Retains its menacing power'
'The most impressive work in this year's Dublin Theatre Festival'
'A sterling cast... a powerhouse production'
The Arts Review
The Irish Mail on Sunday
'A brilliant company of actors, complete with inspired directing and design team, deliver a knockout of a show'
'Mc Ginley is magnificently psychotic in Murphy's epic'
- Iggy Carney: Peter Claffey
- Michael Carney: Peter Coonan
- Hugo Carney: Timmy Creed
- Des Carney: James Doherty O'Brien
- Harry Carney: Brian Gleeson
- Mush: Ruairí Heading
- Dada: Seán Mc Ginley
- Betty: Sarah Morris
- Writer: Tom Murphy
- Director: Jason Byrne
- Set Design: Cordelia Chisholm
- Costume Design: Saileóg O'Halloran
- Lighting Design: Dara Hoban
- Sound Design and Composition: George Brennan
- Fight Director: Ciaran O'Grady
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth
- Casting Director: Sarah Jones
- Hair and Makeup: Leonard Daly
- Publicity Image: Ellius Grace
- Production Photography: Ros Kavanagh
- Show Trailer: Aileen Power and Tom Lee
- Show Trailer Music: George Brennan
26/27 Lower Abbey Street