An Abbey Theatre production
11 June - 21 July 2018
Dates: 11 June – 21 July
On the Abbey Stage
Free First Preview: 11 June
Previews: 12 – 13 June
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm, Matinees Sat 2pm
Tickets: €13 – €45 / Conc. €13 – €30
On Stage Seats: €30 / Conc. €25
Running Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Early Bird tickets available until 30 April.
To book for a group of 6+ call (01) 87 97 226
Sign language interpreted performance: Thursday 19 July, 7:30pm
Audio-described and captioned performance: Saturday 21 July, 2:00pm
After a sell-out run, our bawdy, vibrant and tumultuous production of James Joyce's classic is back by popular demand.
Bloom’s odyssey is a pandemonium of live music, puppets, dancing, clowning, bowler hats and kazoos. It’s Ulysses as you’ve never imagined it before, a superbly theatrical homage to Joyce’s chronicle of Dublin life and the greatest novel of all time. Created by Abbey Theatre Director Graham McLaren, our production is absurd, brilliant and oodles of fun.
‘My ideal audience is people who always wanted to read the book but felt daunted. They may be surprised to find that it remains a book about themselves and people they know. They will not leave knowing everything about Joyce, no more than I’ll ever comprehend the fullness of his vision. But I hope they are sufficiently engaged by the human drama; by Bloom’s subtle triumphs; Molly’s all too human contradictions and Stephen’s isolation on the eve of departure, to again start to read this superb chronicle of our capital city: one of the greatest and truest novels of all time.’ – Dermot Bolger
100 audience seats for this production are on the stage. Book your tickets for ON STAGE SEATS here.
'A production that throws its arms wide open and bids everyone welcome.'
The Arts Review
- Written by: James Joyce
- Adapted by: Dermot Bolger
- Directed & Designed by: Graham McLaren
- Musical Director: Jon Beales
- Puppetry Designer & Maker: Gavin Glover
- Movement Director: Eddie Kay
- Lighting Designer: Kevin McFadden
- Sound Designer: Ben Delaney
- Costume Designer: Niamh Lunny
- Wigs & Make Up: Val Sherlock
- Associate Designer: Ciara Murnane
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth
- Casting Director: Kelly Phelan
- Production Manager: Marie Tierney
- Stage Manager: Diarmuid O'Quigley
- Deputy Stage Manager: Anne Kyle
- Assistant Stage Manager: Audrey Rooney