An Abbey Theatre production
11 June - 21 July 2018
Dates: 11 June – 21 July
On the Abbey Stage
Free First Preview: 11 June
Previews: 12 – 13 June
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm, Matinees Sat 2pm
Tickets: €20 – €45 / Conc. €13 – €30
On Stage Seats: €30 / Conc. €25
Running Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes including an interval
Early Bird tickets available until 30 April.
To book for a group of 6+ call (01) 87 97 212
Sign language interpreted performance: Thursday 19 July, 7:30pm
Audio-described and captioned performance: Saturday 21 July, 2:00pm
After a sell-out run, our bawdy, vibrant and tumultuous production of James Joyce's classic is back by popular demand.
Bloom’s odyssey is a pandemonium of live music, puppets, dancing, clowning, bowler hats and kazoos. It’s Ulysses as you’ve never imagined it before, a superbly theatrical homage to Joyce’s chronicle of Dublin life and the greatest novel of all time. Created by Abbey Theatre Director Graham McLaren, our production is absurd, brilliant and oodles of fun.
‘My ideal audience is people who always wanted to read the book but felt daunted. They may be surprised to find that it remains a book about themselves and people they know. They will not leave knowing everything about Joyce, no more than I’ll ever comprehend the fullness of his vision. But I hope they are sufficiently engaged by the human drama; by Bloom’s subtle triumphs; Molly’s all too human contradictions and Stephen’s isolation on the eve of departure, to again start to read this superb chronicle of our capital city: one of the greatest and truest novels of all time.’ – Dermot Bolger
100 audience seats for this production are on the stage. Book your tickets for ON STAGE SEATS here.
There will be a free Touch Tour of the set, props and costumes with our audio describer Bríd Ní Ghruaigáin prior to the matinee performance of on Saturday 21 July.
Patrons who have booked for the audio described performance are welcome to join us for a Touch Tour of the set, puppets and costumes and experience the different vantage points from which the play can be enjoyed.
Touch Tours are open to blind and visually impaired patrons attending the show plus their companions.
Saturday 21 July
Start time: 12.15pm
Meeting Point: 12noon in the Abbey foyer
To book your place, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Buy one ticket for Ulysses and one for The Snapper at a total cost of €60, saving you 18% on your booking.
Click here or call (01) 87 87 222
'A production that throws its arms wide open and bids everyone welcome.'
The Arts Review
- Lenehan & Ensemble: Bryan Burroughs
- Gerty & Ensemble: Faoileann Cunningham
- Milly & Ensemble: Caitríona Ennis
- Stephen Dedalus & Ensemble: Donal Gallery
- Simon Dedalus & Ensemble: Raymond Keane
- Blazes Boylan & Ensemble: Stephen Jones
- Molly Bloom: Janet Moran
- Leopold Bloom: David Pearse
- Written by: James Joyce
- Adapted by: Dermot Bolger
- Directed & Designed by: Graham McLaren
- Musical Director: Jon Beales
- Puppetry Designer & Maker: Gavin Glover
- Movement Director: Eddie Kay
- Clown Consultant: Raymond Keane
- Lighting Designer: Kevin McFadden
- Sound Designer: Ben Delaney
- Costume Designer: Niamh Lunny
- Costume Supervisor: Orla Long
- Wigs & Make Up: Val Sherlock
- Wigs & Make Up Assistant: Caroline McCurdy
- Associate Designer: Ciara Murnane
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth
- Casting Director (2017): Kelly Phelan
- Casting Director (2018): Maureen Hughes & Sarah Jones
- Production Manager: Marie Tierney
- Stage Manager: Diarmuid O'Quigley
- Deputy Stage Manager: Tara Furlong
- Assistant Stage Manager: Audrey Rooney
Bloomsday: Dermot Bolger & Ferdia MacAnna
16 June 2018