An Abbey Theatre production
The Country Girls (Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick)
23 February - 4 May 2019
Dates: 23 February – 6 April
On the Abbey Stage
Free First Preview: 23 February
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm, Sat Matinee 2pm
Tickets: €13 – €45 / Conc. €13 – €30
Early Bird tickets available until 15 January
To book for a group of 6+ call (01) 87 97 212
Sign language interpreted performance: Thursday 4 April, 7:30pm
Audio-described and captioned performance: Saturday 6 April, 2:00pm
Touch Tour of Stage and Set: Saturday 6 April, 12:45pm
Edna O’Brien revisits her era-defining debut novel in a new stage adaptation.
All of Edna O’Brien’s novels published during the 1960s were ruled “indecent and obscene” under the Censorship of Publications Act.
This started when the publication of The Country Girls caused outrage. It was banned in Ireland by the authorities and publicly burned by the clergy.
Notoriety quickly turned to fame and this coming of age story of two young women in 1950s Ireland became a best-seller.
The Country Girls is the Dublin: One City, One Book 2019 Choice.
- Kate: Grace Collender
- Hickey / Colum / Messenger Boy: Muiris Crowley
- Molly / Cynthia / Dolly: Megan Cusack
- Finn / Hobo / Sergeant: Aron Hegarty
- Malachi / Harry: Aidan Kelly
- Lil: Lisa Lambe
- Sister Mary / Miss Moriarty: Caitriona Loughlin
- Mr Gentleman: Steven McCarthy
- Mr Brennan / Reg / Gustave: Bill Murphy
- Sister Immaculata / Joanna: Mary O'Driscoll
- Baba: Lola Petticrew
- Written & Adapted by: Edna O’Brien
- Directed by: Graham McLaren
- Movement Director: Vicki Manderson
- Set & Costume Design: Francis O’Connor
- Lighting Design: Sinéad Wallace
- Composer: Ray Harman
- Sound Design: Matt Padden
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth