An Abbey Theatre production
11 February - 16 March 2022
Written by Marina Carr
Directed by Caroline Byrne
Dates: 11 February – 16 March 2022
on the Abbey stage
Previews: 11, 12, 14 February
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm, Sat matinee 2pm
Tickets: €15 – €45
Running time: 1 hour and 50 minutes (no interval)
Please note: This production contains themes of suicide, language that some people might find offensive and alcohol abuse.
Age recommendation: 14+
Sign language interpreted performance: Thursday 3 March, 7:30pm
Audio-described and captioned performance: Saturday 5 March, 2:00pm
'There's a wolf tooth growin in me heart and it's turnin me from everywan and everythin I am.'
Today is Portia Coughlan’s 30th birthday, but she doesn’t have the heart to celebrate.
It’s also the anniversary of the death of her twin brother, Gabriel, who drowned 15 years ago.
Is it her fate to join him in the Belmont river, or can she escape the past and find her place in this world?
Marina Carr’s haunting play premiered at the Abbey Theatre in 1996. This new production is directed by Abbey Theatre Associate Director, Caroline Byrne, and stars Olivier Award winner, Denise Gough in the title role.
Download the audio-described programme notes here, or listen to them below.
'this unforgettable story remains searing in its relevance'
The Irish Times
'powerful [...] devastatingly honest'
The Sunday Times
'Denise Gough is riveting'
The Irish Mail on Sunday
'one of the outstanding performances of the year'
The Arts Review
The Business Post
'chilling from first to last... [the] set is a triumph of ingenuity [...] superbly lit'
Images © Ros Kavanagh
For more information on the show, read our digital programme.
- Fintan Goolan: Jamie Beamish
- Blaize Scully: Barbara Brennan
- Sly Scully: Liam Carney
- Marianne Scully: Derbhle Crotty
- Stacia Doyle: Imogen Doel
- Portia Coughlan: Denise Gough
- Maggie May Doorley: Anna Healy
- Senchil Doorley: Gary Murphy
- Damus Halion: Fionn Ó Loingsigh
- Raphael Coughlan: Marty Rea
- Writer: Marina Carr
- Director: Caroline Byrne
- Set Design: Chiara Stephenson
- Composer and Sound Design: Mel Mercier
- Lighting Design: Paul Keogan
- Costume Design: Catherine Fay
- Movement Director: Megan Kennedy
- Video Design: Jack Phelan
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth
- Fight Director: Ciaran O’Grady
- Hair and Makeup Artist: Leonard Daly
- Wigs: Val Sherlock
- Assistant Director: Colm Summers
- Assistant Sound Design: Rob Moloney