Commissioned by Dublin Dance Festival in association with Backstage Theatre, and presented in partnership with the Abbey Theatre
Floating on a Dead Sea (Longford)
26 - 27 November 2021
Catherine Young Dance
Location: Backstage Theatre, Longford
Dates: 26 – Sat 27 November, 8pm
Tickets: €16 / €14 conc.
Duration: 60 minutes (no interval)
A rare and immersive glimpse into life in Palestine, interweaving dance, film, music and text.
This new piece is a visceral reflection on one of the most complex conflicts in the world; interweaving dance, film, music and text to offer a rare insight into life amidst conflict in Palestine.
Originally due to premiere at Dublin Dance Festival in 2020, this work has been long in the making. In 2017, Catherine Young took her dance company to Palestine to perform her critically acclaimed work Welcoming the Stranger. Compelled by the experience, she returned in 2019 to find a way to share this overwhelming feeling of being lifted and held by the generosity and kindness of a people, in a place where nothing is normal. A place where everyday life, dreams and aspirations are stifled, basic rights denied, and lives lived unfulfilled.
With a cast of international dancers and stunning visuals by filmmaker Luca Truffarelli, this moving performance places us in the footsteps of ordinary Palestinians, allowing us to feel their enduring sense of injustice, urgency and need for action. A chance to look and listen more deeply, especially to those whose voices are often unheard.
Co-commissioned by Dublin Dance Festival. Co-presented by Dublin Dance Festival and the Abbey Theatre in association with Backstage Theatre. Funded by The Arts Council of Ireland | An Chomhairle Ealaíon, Backstage Theatre, Kerry County Council, Siamsa Tíre, and supported by Shawbrook Dance & Dance Limerick, University of Limerick & A.M Qattan Foundation.
- Director & Choreographer: Catherine Young
- Film: Luca Truffarelli
- Dancer (live): Salma Ataya
- Dancer (live): Vanessa Guevara
- Dancer (live): Amir Sabra
- Dancer (filmed): Yousef Areh Sbeih
- Dancer (filmed): Abdallah Damra
- Dancer (filmed): Abdalwahab Hmidan
- Dancer (filmed): Ahmed Kullab,
- Dancer (filmed): Ameed Sayeh
- Dancer (filmed): Mohammed Smahneh
- Musician: Martin Scharer
- Musician: Jon Sanders
- Musician: Jade O’Connor
- Musician: Colm O'Snodaigh
- Dramaturg : Hanna Slattne
- Sound Design: Fiona Sheil
- Lx Design: Sarah Jane Sheil
- Music Producer & Sound Engineer : Alan Kelly
- Production Manager: Michael Lonergan
- Line producer : Kristyn Fontanella
- QLab Engineer : Michael Stapleton
- Photography : Luca Truffarelli
- Photography: Alaa Aliabdallah
The Misunderstanding of Myrrha
2 - 3 November 2021
11 - 13 November 2021