The literary team are always interested in getting to know new playwrights. We read and respond to hundreds of scripts per year, as well as seeing productions of new work all over the country.
The Abbey Theatre is not looking for any particular style of writing but rather a script that is theatrical and original. At present, we are concentrating on Irish writing and so are not accepting scripts from abroad.
Please read our submission guidelines carefully as they have recently changed.
– All scripts should be submitted to the Abbey Theatre by email to email@example.com. Please include your contact details and your writing experience to date in your email, along with a PDF or Word version of your script.
– The Abbey Theatre will only accept an unsolicited script which is in either Irish or English and is clearly typed and formatted.
– We shield the identity of the writer from the readers at all times so that the reading will be completely unbiased. Scripts which have the writer’s name on each page of the script will therefore not be accepted.
– Each script will receive an individual response with feedback on your play. Given the large number of script we receive annually, the reading process can take up to six months.
– Please only submit one script at a time. We cannot accept another submission until we have responded to your initial submission.
– We do not accept resubmissions of plays we which we have already read, unless a further draft has been requested by the Literary Manager.
– Please do not submit electronic copies formatted in Works or Final Draft.
– Hard copy scripts will not be returned and will be recycled.
– Please make sure your script is clearly legible and free of typing errors.
– We cannot accept handwritten scripts, radio plays, screenplays, novels, poetry.
What kind of plays are you looking for?
The Abbey Theatre is not looking for any particular style of writing but rather a script that is theatrical and original.
Do I have to be Irish?
The Abbey Theatre’s current policy as Ireland’s national theatre is to prioritise emerging Irish writers. In order to do this, we must focus our attention on the large number of scripts we receive from Irish writers and writers resident in Ireland. We also accept plays from Irish playwrights living abroad.
How do I know when my work is ready to submit?
It is important to feel that the play you submit is the very best possible representation of your work. Re-writing is a critical part of playwriting. Try reading it aloud or getting friends to read it out for you. Your play should be at a stage where you feel that there is no more you can possibly do to it. This should be following numerous drafts.
What should my play look like?
Your play should be clearly typed and formatted. It should be a Word document or PDF. We shield the identity of the writer from the readers at all times so that the reading will be completely unbiased. Scripts which have the writer’s name on each page of the script will therefore not be accepted.
What happens when I send my script?
When your script has been received it will be logged in the Abbey’s system and you will receive an email response to acknowledge this.
Plays are then given to the Abbey’s team of readers who will carefully report on each script.
A few months later, you will receive a letter with an individual commentary on your work.
If your work is accepted for further development, a meeting with a member of the literary team, a one-day reading of your script or a workshop may be offered. Suitable writers whose scripts have been submitted are automatically considered as potential candidates for all Abbey Theatre emerging writer development initiatives.
Do you give feedback?
Each script will receive an individual response. The reading process can take up to six months.
Can I invite you to readings and performances?
The literary department does its utmost to see new work across Ireland and are happy to attend readings and shows. Please send an invite by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you accept one act plays and adaptations?
What kind of work will you not accept?
We will not accept handwritten scripts, radio plays, screenplays, novels, poetry, treatments or synopses. We cannot accept scripts from abroad at present or resubmissions of plays we have previously read.
How often can I submit my work?
Please only submit one script at a time. We cannot accept another submission until we have responded to your initial submission.
I found the Abbey Theatre’s feedback helpful in writing a new draft of my play. Can I resubmit it having implemented your suggestions?
At this time, in order to maintain the standard of care and attention given to each script we receive, we are not in a position to accept resubmissions unless a further draft of your play has been requested by the Literary Manager.