An Abbey Theatre and Lyric Theatre Belfast Co-Production
16 August - 3 September 2022
Written by Brian Friel
Directed by Caitríona McLaughlin
‘You can learn to decode us’
It’s August 1833. The pupils have gathered in a hedge-school in the townland of Baile Beag/Ballybeg. This Irish-speaking community in Donegal, has become the unlikely focal point for a changing world.
Progress is coming. Tensions are growing. There are plans for a new English-speaking national school and a group of Royal Engineers have arrived to map the area.
Translations examines the fractious relationship between people and nations through the lens of language and (mis)communication.
Brian Friel’s modern masterpiece finds a new potency, in a time where Brexit has thrown current Anglo-Irish relations into sharp relief, redrawing old boundaries, and opening up old wounds. Abbey Theatre Artistic Director and Donegal native Caitríona McLaughlin opens a hotly anticipated new production of Translations in Belfast before a summer run on the Abbey stage.
“I think that is how the political problem of this island is going to be solved. It’s going to be solved by language in some kind of way. Not only the language of negotiations across the table. It’s going to be solved by the recognition of what language means for us on this island.” Brian Friel in conversation with Fintan O’Toole, 1982.
'a timeless study of change and identity'
The Irish Times
The Sunday Times
'skilfully crafted production of Brian Friel's mighty play'
'an extraordinary cast turn in extraordinary performances across the board'
The Arts Review
'a long refreshing drink of theatre tonic'
Audio-described Programme Notes
Download the audio-described programme notes here, or listen to them below.
Please see find the Translations Study Pack here.
- Owen: Leonard Buckley
- Bridget: Ruby Campbell
- Maire: Zara Devlin
- Doalty: Andy Doherty
- Hugh: Brian Doherty
- Jimmy Jack: Ronan Leahy
- Lieutenant Yolland: Aidan Moriarty
- Manus: Marty Rea
- Sarah: Suzie Seweify
- Captain Lancey: Howard Teale
- Writer: Brian Friel
- Director: Caitríona McLaughlin
- Set Design: Joanna Parker
- Costume Design: Catherine Fay
- LX Design: Paul Keogan
- Sound Design: Carl Kennedy
- Movement Director: Sue Mythen
- Casting Director: Sarah Jones
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth
- Assistant Director: Laura Sheeran
- Producer (Abbey): Jen Coppinger
- Producer (Lyric): Morag Keating
- Production Manager (Abbey): Andy Keogh
- Production Manager (Lyric): Siobhán Barbour
- Company Stage Manager : Bronagh Doherty
- Deputy Stage Manager (Lyric): Louise Graham
- Assistant Stage Manager (Lyric): Jennifer Aust
- Deputy Stage Manager (Abbey): Roxzan Bowes
- Assistant Stage Manager (Abbey): Orla Burke
- Costume Supervisor: Eimear Farrell
- Marketing Lead: Fergus Hannigan
- Press : Róisín McGann / Sharon Sorohan