An Abbey Theatre production
The Quare Fellow
24 November - 27 January 2024
Written by Brendan Behan
Directed by Tom Creed
Dates: 24 November – 27 January 2024
On the Abbey stage
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm
Sat matinees 2pm
Wed matinees on 13 and 20 Dec, 3 and 17 Jan, 2pm
Thurs matinee on 28 Dec, 2pm
Tickets: €15 – €45
Running time: Approx. 2 hours, plus a 20-minute interval
Content advice: Please see here if you would like information on the themes in this production
Sign language interpreted performance: Friday 19 January, 7:30pm
Captioned performance: Saturday 20 January, 2:00pm
Audio-described performance: Saturday 20 January, 2:00pm
To celebrate a century since Brendan Behan’s birth, the Abbey Theatre is proud to present a modern take on The Quare Fellow, directed by Tom Creed.
To the tune of ‘The Auld Triangle’, the play centres on the arrival of a condemned murderer to Mountjoy Prison, whose diverse inhabitants offer a darkly comic mirror to life outside its walls. In this exciting new production, the traditionally all-male cast will be played exclusively by female and non-binary actors.
Having premiered at the Pike Theatre in 1954 under the direction of Alan Simpson, this modern classic was first produced at the Abbey in 1956 and had its most recent production at the National Theatre in 1984.
This new production offers a new generation an opportunity to discover Behan’s unique combination of riotous comedy and deep humanity, brought to life by an exciting collection of the country’s leading theatre makers, designers and performers.
The cast of 15 brilliant performers, all female and non-binary actors, will perform all of the male characters, continuing Behan’s legacy of subversion, of surprising and confronting audiences, while providing an unforgettable evening of entertainment.
'A hugely enjoyable romp that packs sombre reflection in with profane laughter'
The Irish Times
'Stylish, moving and memorable'
'Tom Creed's inspired production reminds us of what a great writer Behan was... A fine piece of work: high entertainment laced with just the right amount of weight'
- Writer: Brendan Behan
- Director: Tom Creed
- Set Designer: Paul O’Mahony
- Costume Designer: Catherine Fay
- Lighting Designer: Stephen Dodd
- Sound Designer & Composer: Mel Mercier
- Movement Director: Sue Mythen
- Hair and Makeup: Val Sherlock
- Voice Director: Andrea Ainsworth
- Assistant Director: John King
- Assistant Sound Designer: Aidah Sama
- Casting Director: Sarah Jones
- Illustration: Shane Cluskey
- Production Photography: Ste Murray
- Warder Regan: Clare Barrett
- Dunlavin: Barbara Brennan
- Warder Donelly: Amy Conroy
- Mickser and Hangman: Wren Dennehy
- Prisoner E and Jenkinson: Emer Dineen
- Prisoner B: Eva-Jane Gaffney
- Scholara and Warder 2: Taylor McClaine
- Neighbour: Gina Moxley
- Healey and Chief Warder: Marion O'Dwyer
- The Other Fellow, Cook and English Voice: Aisling O'Mara
- Lifer and Governor: Rebecca O'Mara
- Prisoner C: Chloe O'Reilly
- Shaybo and Warder Crimmin: Ebby O'Toole-Acheampong
- Prisoner D: Camille Lucy Ross
- Prisoner A: Kate Stanley Brennan
- Voice of Prisoner in Solitary: Radie Peat