An Irish National Opera, Theatre Lovett and Abbey Theatre co-production
Hansel and Gretel
8 - 15 February 2020
by Engelbert Humperdinck
Dates: 8 – 15 February
On the Abbey Stage
Times: Mon – Sat 7.30pm
Tickets: €13 – €45 / Conc. €13 – €32
Early bird tickets available until 23 December
Age Guidance: Suitable for adults of all ages and children 9+
Running Time: 1 hour and 45 minutes, including a 20-minute interval
To book for a group of 6+ call (01) 87 97 222
Trouble at home. Two hungry children lost in a haunted forest.
The lure of a gingerbread house. The frightening hocus pocus of the predatory Witch. And the smarts of the children who triumph in the end… all wrapped up in the delicious sound world of Engelbert Humperdinck’s operatic masterpiece.
One of the greatest operas about children, Humperdinck’s Hansel and Gretel is sweet and beguiling, combining childlike simplicity with heart-aching beauty.
Irish National Opera, Theatre Lovett and the Abbey Theatre collaborate on this compelling three-act opera, reimagined in a mysterious modern setting.
Don’t be fooled. This is a story of greed and starvation, mouth-wateringly sugar-coated.
Sung in English with English surtitles.
- Navan, Solstice Arts Centre: Tues 18 Feb
- Kilkenny, Watergate Theatre: Thurs 20 Feb
- Wexford, National Opera House: Sat 22 Feb
- Cork, The Everyman: Tues 25 Feb
- Tralee, Siamsa Tíre: Thurs 27 Feb
- Limerick, Lime Tree Theatre: Sat 29 Feb
- Galway, Town Hall Theatre: Tues 3 Mar
- Longford, Backstage Theatre: Thurs 5 Mar
- Letterkenny, An Grianán: Sat 7 Mar
'one of the sweetest yet most lushly captivating scores in the entire operatic repertory'
The New York Times
- Hansel: Raphaela Mangan (Mezzo-Soprano)
- Gretel: Amy Ní Fhearraigh (Soprano)
- Mother: Miriam Murphy (Soprano)
- Father: Ben McAteer (Baritone)
- Witch: Carolyn Dobbin (Mezzo-Soprano)
- Sandman and Dew Fairy: Emma Nash (Soprano)
- The Night Watchman: Raymond Keane
- Lost Children: Amelie Metcalfe, Ronan Millar
- Music by: Engelbert Humperdinck
- Conductor: Richard Peirson
- Directors: Muireann Ahern and Louis Lovett
- Set and Costume Design: Jamie Vartan
- Lighting Design: Sarah Jane Shiels
- Video Design: Jack Phelan
- Sound Editor: Carl Kennedy
- Violin 1: Sarah Sew
- Violin 2: Larissa O'Grady
- Viola: Andreea Banciu
- Flute: Ríona Ó Duinnín
- Clarinet: Conor Sheil
- Horn: Liam Duffy
- Piano: Richard Peirson
- Publicity Image: Ros Kavanagh
- Rehearsal Images: Ste Murray