Commissioned by Dublin Dance Festival and the Abbey Theatre
Dēmos - films of separation and togetherness
18 - 29 May 2021
Liz Roche Company / Crash Ensemble
Bookings through Dublin Dance Festival
Available to watch from Tuesday 18 May, 7pm to 11:59pm on Saturday 29 May
Running Time: 45mins approx.
A suite of short films navigating absence and presence through movement and sound.
A suite of interconnected shorts, Dēmos – films of separation and togetherness is part of a new collaborative project between choreographer Liz Roche and composer David Coonan, commissioned by Dublin Dance Festival and the Abbey Theatre, which culminates in a live performance later this year.
Filmed on the Abbey stage, the superb cast of Liz Roche Company dancers and Crash Ensemble musicians come together to perform scenes from the new work, in films made in collaboration with filmmaker José Miguel Jiménez.
Used to denote a ‘district’ or ‘land’ as well as ‘the people’ within, the Ancient Greek term dēmos connotes a complex sense of connection between bodies in a shared space, a fluid state of harmony and disharmony.
Bringing together dancers and musicians, it poses urgent questions of how to feel together in a time when togetherness feels fractured. The films follow journeys through the cracked spaces these bodies occupy; physical and digital, real and imagined.
Liz Roche Company is strategically funded by The Arts Council of Ireland | An Chomhairle Ealaíon.
Commissioned by Dublin Dance Festival and The Abbey Theatre, in partnership with Crash Ensemble and New Music Dublin.
- Dancer: Justine Cooper
- Dancer: Kévin Coquelard
- Dancer: Lucia Kickham
- Dancer: Yumi Lee
- Dancer: Luke Murphy
- Dancer: Emily Terndrup
- Musician: Kate Ellis (Cello)
- Musician: Brian Bolger (Guitar)
- Musician: Alex Petcu (Percussion)
- Recorded Musicians: Larissa O'Grady
- Recorded Musicians: Macdara Ó Seireadáin
- Recorded Musicians: Barry O'Halpin
- Recorded Musicians: Máire Carroll
- Films by : José Miguel Jiménez and Liz Roche
- Choreography: Liz Roche
- Composer: David Coonan
- Edited by: José Miguel Jiménez
- Filmed by: Steve O'Connor and Peter Martin
- Set & Costume Designer: Katie Davenport
- Lighting Designer: Sinead McKenna
- Projections: José Miguel Jiménez
- Dramaturg: Shane O'Reilly
- Production Manager: Eamonn Fox
- Stage Manager: Lisa Krugel
- Music Producer & Sound Engineer: Adrian Hart
- AV assistant: Eavan Aiken
- Band Coordinator: Jonathan Pearson
26/27 Lower Abbey Street