FOR THE FINANCIAL YEAR ENDED 31 DECEMBER 2016
The Board of Directors submit their annual report and audited financial statements, for the year ended 31 December 2016.
Objectives and Activities
Abbey Theatre Amharclann na Mainistreach is governed by its Constitution under the Companies Act 2014 which sets out its objects as follows:
- i. To continue the Abbey Theatre’s tradition of the Abbey Theatre as the National Theatre of Ireland for the purpose of acting and producing plays in English and/or Irish, written by Irish authors or on Irish subjects, and such dramatic works of international authors as would tend to educate and interest the Irish public in the higher aspects of dramatic art.
- ii. To act as successor to National Theatre Society, Limited by receiving a transfer from National Theatre Society, Limited of its assets, rights, undertakings and liabilities.
- iii. To promote and encourage the staging, production and performance of dramatic art to the highest standards.
- iv. To stage, produce, co-produce, direct, hold and otherwise organise plays, rehearsals, shows, concerts, exhibitions and all other forms of performances of dramatic art.
- v. To commission plays, works and all other forms of performances of dramatic art.
- vi. To further and promote educational and public knowledge, awareness, appreciation and enjoyment of drama and similar arts.
- vii. To maintain, uphold, provide and run a prestigious national theatre for the purposes and main objects contained herein.