An Abbey Theatre production
1 November - 20 December 2021
A new weekly podcast of rarely performed Irish plays
Unseen Plays is a collection of audio experiences exploring the work of unheralded Irish plays.
Engaging with the Irish canon and curated by Professor Christopher Morash, these nine plays will be released on a weekly basis from November via Spotify, Apple Podcasts and SoundCloud.
Featuring a collection of works that have been seldom seen (or not seen at all) on Irish stages, Unseen Plays will be presented in audio form. Distinct from radio drama, in that there is no intention to create the full auditory world of the play, with its footsteps and offstage traffic; instead, these performances are presented as readings.
Recorded at Windmill Lane Recording Studios, each play includes an acclaimed director with a full ensemble cast. The plays presented are listed below:
- The Image by Lady Gregory and The Words Upon the Window Pane by W.B. Yeats, directed by Sarah Jane Scaife
- Light Falling by Teresa Deevy, directed by Caroline Byrne
- Liffey Lane by Maura Laverty, directed by Lelia Doolan
- The Wood of the Whispering by M.J. Molloy, directed by Maisie Lee
- The Evidence I Shall Give by Richard Johnson, directed by Conall Morrison
- An Triail by Máiréad Ní Ghrada, directed by Darach Ó Tuairisg
- Did You Hear the One About the Irishman? by Christina Reid, directed by Emma Jordan
- The Pentagonal Dream by Sebastian Barry, created in collaboration with Olwen Fouéré, Roger Doyle and David Heap
- Curator: Professor Christopher Morash
- Audio Recording: Windmill Lane Recording Studios