The Royal Irish Academy of Music in collaboration with The Lir National Academy of Dramatic Art at Trinity College Dublin in association with the Abbey Theatre
26 - 30 March 2019
Dates: 26 – 30 March
On the Peacock Stage
Tickets: €25 / Conc. €13
Running Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Early Bird tickets available until 15 February.
Note: Contains strobe lighting.
To book for a group of 6+ call (01) 87 97 212
An introduction to the next generation of singers and stage technicians in the first-known opera by a female composer.
Francesca Caccini: La Liberazione di Ruggiero dall’isola di Alcina
The RIAM, in collaboration with The Lir National Academy of Dramatic Art, returns to the Abbey Theatre for Opera Briefs, a creative partnership between these two dynamic educational institutions.
Set on Alcina’s magical island, Francesca Caccini’s La Liberazione di Ruggiero dall’isola di Alcina is the first-known opera by a female composer and her only surviving opera.
First performed in Florence in 1625, this pioneering composer set the libretto, derived from Ariosto’s Orlando Furioso, as a “Balletto in Musica” mixing music, drama and dance.
The story was later the inspiration for operas by Vivaldi, Handel and Haydn. The music is a glorious mixture of choruses, arias, recitatives and madrigals.
- Netuno (Neptune): Berus Komarschela
- Numi dell’acque (Water Deities): Caroline Behan, Seamus Brady, James Danaswamy, Ava Dodd, Amie Dyer, Breffni Fitzpatrick, Hailey-Rose Lynch, Megan O’Neill, Vladimir Sima
- Alcina: Clodagh Kinsella
- Ruggiero: Dylan Rooney
- Melissa: Aebh Kelly
- Nunzia (Alcina’s PA): Breffni Fitzpatrick
- Damigelle (Alcina’s Attendants): Caroline Behan, Ava Dodd, Amie Dyer, Hailey-Rose Lynch
- Pastore (Shepherd): Vladimir Sima
- Sirena (Siren): Megan O’Neill
- Astolfo (an Enchanted Plant): Berus Komarschela
- Piante Incantate (Enchanted Plants): Seamus Brady, James Danaswamy, Megan O’Neill
- Mostri (Monsters): Caroline Behan, Seamus Brady, James Danaswamy, Ava Dodd, Amie Dyer, Breffni Fitzpatrick, Hailey-Rose Lynch, Megan O’Neill, Vladimir Sima
- Dama disincantata (Formerly Enchanted Lady): Ava Dodd
- Cavalieri liberati (Freed Knights and Lovers): Caroline Behan, Seamus Brady, James Danaswamy, Ava Dodd, Amie Dyer, Breffni Fitzpatrick, Sarah Keating, Ellen Kelly, Hailey-Rose Lynch, Cerys Macallister, Rachel Murphy, Megan O’Neill, Vladimir Sima, Oonagh Ward
- Recorder: Daire O'Connell
- Baroque Violin: Caitriona O'Mahony, Jenna Raggett
- Baroque Cello: Gabriela Dikcuite
- Bass: Matthew Gaffney
- Harp: Ruth O'Hara
- Organ: Matthew Breen
- Harpsichord: David Adams
- Composer: Francesca Caccini
- Director: Hélène Montague
- Conductor: David Adams
- Set and Costume Designer: Molly O'Cathain
- Lighting Designer: John Gunning
- Make-Up: Val Sherlock
- Italian Diction Coach: Annalisa Monticelli
- Baroque String Coach: Claire Duff
- Producer: Kathleen Tynan, RIAM Head of Vocal Studies and Opera
- Production Manager: Des Kenny
- Stage Manager: Gordon Bell