Dublin Dance Festival in partnership with the Abbey Theatre
19 - 20 May 2020
Dates: 19 – 20 May
On the Abbey Stage
Tickets: €13 – €38 / Conc. €13 – €33
Running Time: 65 minutes
To book for a group of 6+ call (01) 87 87 222
Taking Greek folk dance as inspiration, ΑΝΩΝΥΜΟ traces the patterns and rhythms passed down through the generations and creates a contemporary celebration of community and the collective power of dance.
Tzeni Argyriou (Greece)
Opening Performance / Irish Premiere
ΑΝΩΝΥΜΟ looks back to a time when dances did not belong to anybody; they belonged to everybody. Since the earliest rituals of initiation and participation, dance has brought people together. From one body to the next, dances moved through the centuries, accompanying every human ceremony: weddings, death, war, peace.
In a work that hinges on human contact, seven dancers invite us on a journey that takes traditional dance forms as a source of inspiration. Transcending the formal movements, patterns and rhythms of Greek folk dances, they draw us into a celebration of community and share a contemporary language of movement, stripped to the bone.
Much of choreographer Tzeni Argyriou’s work explores the struggles of a society dominated by a constructed digital reality. In ΑΝΩΝΥΜΟ, she returns to the body to rediscover human connection, shared experience and the collective power of dance.
Produced by Onassis Stegi. Co-produced by Rencontres chorégraphiques internationales de Seine Saint-Denis (FR), Kalamata International Dance Festival (GR). Research Support from Duncan Dance Research Center. Production Toured by Delta Pi. Touring Support by Onassis Stegi.
Lead image by Stavros Habakis.
'Kinetic motifs traverse the stage, embodied by seven exceptional dancers from different generations of the Greek dance scene.'
'Elements from different eras have been used to make us travel in time, enlightening us about the past and making us think of the present.'
- Performer: Hermes Malkotsis
- Performer: Dimitra Mertzani
- Performer: Konstantinos Papanikolaou
- Performer: Ioanna Paraskeuopoulou
- Performer: Stavroula Siamou
- Performer: Nancy Stamatopoulou
- Performer: Dimitris Sotiriou
- Concept & Choreography: Tzeni Argyriou
- Dramaturgy: Miguel Angel Melgares
- Scenography & Visual Concept: Vassilis Gerodimos
- Original Music & Sound Design: Pepe Garcia Rodriguez
- Lighting Design: Vangelis Mountrichas
- Lighting Adaptation & Operator: Stavros Kariotoglou
- Costume Design: Ioanna Tsami
- Sound Engineer: Ilias Flammos
- Choreography & Production Assistant: Danai Giannakopoulou
- Production Design & Executive Producer: Konstantinos Sakkas
- Production Management: Delta P
22 - 23 May 2020
A Love Supreme
29 - 30 May 2020