1. Update the mission statement and other key documents within the
Abbey Theatre to specifically reflect a goal of gender equality. The key
– The Mission Statement of the Abbey Theatre
– The Memorandum and Articles of Association
2. To put gender equality as a key board priority and responsibility,
meaning that gender equality will become a permanent board agenda
item with immediate effect.
3. The Abbey Theatre commits to continued gender equality at board level.
4. To achieve gender equality in all areas of the artistic programme over
the next five years by presenting more work led by female theatre
practitioners. Gender equality will be measured in five year periods
starting from 2017. There will be ongoing flexibility within programming
for a given year but over the course of each five year period the artistic
programme will achieve gender balance.
5. The Abbey Theatre commits to gender equality in the play
6. The Abbey Theatre undertakes to deliver a workshop programme for all
employees, examining issues of gender equality in the workplace.
7. With a view to raising awareness of the career opportunities for women
in theatre, the Abbey Theatre will create an annual programme for second
level students within the National Theatre.
8. Progress made by our gender equality initiatives will be specifically
reported in the Abbey Theatre’s Annual Report. This recommendation
will ensure that both the focus and progress on achieving gender
equality at the national theatre will be documented and detailed within
the Annual Report thus ensuring that there is clear visibility on this
journey. The 2016 Annual Report will contain the first update on gender
Published – 30 August 2016